Complex Networks is a global lifestyle video, brand, and media company jointly owned by Hearst and Verizon, and is one of the most influential voices in popular culture today. Complex generates over 1.2 billion video views a month across its digital channels. It is a top 10 publisher in the U.S. for social engagement on platforms such as YouTube, Facebook, Netflix, and Snapchat.
We are currently looking for a talented and creative Senior Editor to join our fast-growing Branded Content team. The ideal candidate will be a collaborative team player with a track record of creating exciting and engaging content across all platforms, including digital, video, social, and experiential. This editor will work closely with our Managing Director, Branded Content, but additionally across Complex’s sales, marketing, editorial, social, art, and video teams to execute deliverables in all areas of content partnerships. In addition to having a keen eye for detail and innovation, the Senior Editor should have a creative vision and know how to sell it, with an understanding of the social media ecosystem and how branded content plays a role. They’ll wear many hats, have an infectious can-do energy, and a passion for all things streetwear, but ultimately will be able to ideate great, on-brand concepts for our diverse portfolio of partners and deliver top-notch execution in the Complex tone of voice and aesthetic.
● Top edit to ensure editorial integrity and quality control on all Branded Content copy, including features, scripts, and video
● Serve as lead editorial creative on assigned campaigns, including pre-sale ideation and all aspects of post-sale execution
● Represent Branded Content team internally and externally, on production and in all client calls/meetings
● Work alongside Project Managers, Production, and Video Producers, as well as editorial team, to execute branded content packages that address our partner’s business goals while remaining authentic to the Complex brand
● Collaborate with Talent team to identify the best subjects to be featured in branded campaigns that both meet client needs and are relevant to Complex’s core audience
● Act as the main point of contact for freelance writers, photographers, illustrators, stylists, video directors, and on-camera hosts for assigned campaigns
● Oversee editorial budgets for all assigned campaigns and ensure all associated invoices are processed in a timely manner
● Work in conjunction with Managing Director, Branded Content to identify and match brand partners with organic content for high-impact sponsorship opportunities
● Keep multiple, concurrent campaigns on deadline
● Be mindful of performance goals, focused on achieving them, and use key learnings to improve on every campaign
● Help groom junior staff to further their growth as skilled editors, reporters, and brand ambassadors for Complex
● 5+ years of experience working as a branded content writer or editor, preferably at a media company
● 3+ years experience managing a team and coaching content creators
● Proven ability to ideate and execute engaging branded and social content a must
● Strong editing, research, communication, and writing skills—background in journalism a plus
● Expert knowledge of trends and influencers in the style and sneakers field a must
● Must be comfortable working with a broad range of cross-functional staff—junior to senior, sales, marketing, editorial, design, analytics, etc.
● Passionate for editorial integrity, and comfortable steering partners in this direction diplomatically to set them up for success, utilizing data and key learnings when needed
● Proactive, problem-solving skills
● Excellent organizational and time management skills—ability to perform in a fast-paced, ever-evolving environment, and think quickly and strategically to meet tight deadlines
● Ability to distinguish the good content from the "noise"
● Know how to run photo and video shoots, work with talent, and be able to creatively pivot when needed
● Strong presentation and client relationship skills
● Provide creative expertise on RFPs and new business opportunities with regard to branded content proposals
● Experience with SEO strategy, Asana, Simple Reach, PhotoShop, Chartbeat, and data analytics software a plus
Complex offers an awesome casual work environment with a great team of smart, motivated, innovative and fun people. And our benefits are pretty good as well, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short/long term disability, generous time off and a 401k match! We hold tons of events throughout the year including happy hours and team building activities.
About Complex Networks
Complex is a global lifestyle brand and media company and one of the most influential voices in popular culture today. Complex Networks generates over 1.2 billion video views a month across its digital channels and is a Top 10 publisher in the U.S. for social engagement on channels like Facebook and YouTube. Complex Networks develops and distributes video programming on several distribution channels including Netflix, Facebook, Snapchat, and Fuse. The company cultivates content that spans across popular culture - from music to movies, sports to video games, fashion to food. In November 2017, the company successfully hosted its second ComplexCon event in Long Beach, California, attracting 200 top brands and over 50,000 attendees to the two-day cultural festival.