Complex Networks formed from the acquisition of Complex Media Inc. through a joint venture by Verizon and Hearst. Today, it is a global lifestyle brand and media company and one of the most influential voices in popular culture. Complex Networks’ digital channels, which include Complex News, First We Feast, Pigeons & Planes, Sole Collector and more, are the Top 10 publishers in the U.S. for social engagement on channels like Facebook and YouTube. A diversified and profitable media business with premium distribution partners such as Netflix, Hulu, Pluto TV, Roku, and iFlix, Complex Networks’ original content exemplifies convergence culture, exploring topics that span across popular culture from music to movies, sports to video games, fashion to food.
Complex is seeking a Freelance or Contract to Hire Editor to work with our Audience team to create and revamp content for complex.com that aligns with the brand and audience. The style of the editorial writing will be list creation and roll-out across a variety of genres + social platforms.
This position is based in New York City.
An ideal candidate is someone who always watches movies. TV shows, sports, pop culture, their social media timelines but is comfortable researching editorializing across all verticals, from pop Culture to Sports to Music. Someone who has the ability to create unique content that focuses on more niche angles to a story or introduces new theories in a compelling way. The editor must understand Complex's blend of internet, pop culture, and entertainment.
Potential candidates should be comfortable and experienced in all facets of the creative process. Such as; researching new topics based on available internal data, updating legacy list articles, impact image research and ideation of creative engagement focused content. This candidate should be ready to assist in all forms of content creation for a special project that lives within Audience Development but is adjacent to Complex’s organic editorial efforts.
- Updating legacy lists and creating new content of similar format
- Crafting timely pop culture pitches
- Conceptualizing strategies to leverage seasonality in interest topics
- Multitasking is a must! Ideal candidate should be able to handle more than one project at a time
- Keeping abreast with the wide world of pop culture, internet trends/memes, and entertainment.
- Should be versed in the latest on Netflix, HBO, and what’s in theaters, with a healthy knowledge of pop culture from the ’90s and ’00s (ranging from what’s happening on Saturday Night Live and the timeline to knowing about classic Nickelodeon shows and franchises ranging from the Marvel Cinematic Universe to the Fast and Furious films)
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1-2 years of experience
- Deep knowledge of Complex’s voice and brand
- Understanding of the right angles for the right stories
- Strong writing skills, along with the ability to edit and copy edit
- Knowledge of a CMS and ability to navigate within a content management system
Complex offers a casual work environment with a great team of smart, motivated, innovative and fun people. Our benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short/long term disability, generous PTO and a 401k match from the first day! ! We hold tons of events throughout the year including happy hours and team building activities.
About Complex Networks:
Complex Networks develops and distributes original programming for its channels and through output deals with premium distributors. The company cultivates content that reaches the coveted 18-24 year-old male audience. In 2016, the company launched their very first ComplexCon in Long Beach, California, to bring the “Internet to Life.” The annual event attracts over 200 culture-shifting brands and over 60,000 digitally savvy attendees to the two-day cultural festival.