Rights and Clearances Coordinator
Complex Networks formed from the acquisition of Complex Media Inc. through a joint venture by Verizon and Hearst. Today, it is a global lifestyle brand and media company and one of the most influential voices in popular culture. Complex Networks’ digital channels, which include Complex News, First We Feast, Pigeons & Planes, Sole Collector and more, are the Top 10 publishers in the U.S. for social engagement on channels like Facebook and YouTube. A diversified and profitable media business with premium distribution partners such as Netflix, Hulu, Pluto TV, Roku, and iFlix, Complex Networks’ original content exemplifies convergence culture, exploring topics that span across popular culture from music to movies, sports to video games, fashion to food.
We are looking to bring on a Rights and Clearances Coordinator who will assist with the rights and clearances process, the review of production-related IP deliverables and protection of the company’s intellectual property portfolio. The RCC works directly with staff and management in the Business and Legal Affairs group, production teams (both internal and external), vendors, service providers and rights-holders to secure and document IP rights for the Company’s content.
- Review content to spot clearance and/or compliance issues.
- Negotiate and document necessary rights to assets - including but not limited to video clips, images, and music.
- Verify that production teams have secured location agreements, materials releases and talent agreements and that all production documents are uploaded to the deliverables wrap drive for the program.
- Maintain and update programming rights database - input and update rights-restrictions and summarize information for various departments House/archive all underlying paperwork.
- Develop and maintain a highly organized tracking report that will capture the status of all pending agreements.
- Evaluate and promptly respond to external clearance inquiries from production companies as needed.
- Work with constituent departments to create asset libraries as needed.
- 1-2 years of experience working in media.
- Ability to communicate clearly with production teams and external rights holders.
- Ability to multitask and work under time sensitive constraints.
- Knowledge of Intellectual Property rights including music rights.
Complex offers an awesome casual work environment with a great team of smart, motivated, innovative and fun people. And our benefits are pretty good as well, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short/long term disability, generous time off and a 401k match! We hold tons of events throughout the year including happy hours and team building activities.
About Complex Networks
Complex Networks develops and distributes original programming for its channels and through output deals with premium distributors. The company cultivates content that spans across popular culture from music to movies, sports to video games, fashion to food, reaching the coveted 18-24-year-old male audience. In 2016, the company launched ComplexCon in Long Beach, California, to bring the “Internet to life.” The annual event attracts over 200 culture-shifting brands and over 60,000 digitally savvy attendees to the two-day cultural festival.